FAQ’s for Landlords


What do I need to do to have my property ready to be let?


Before a property can be let out it must have a valid EPC certificate which is an E rating or above. If there is gas central heating or any gas appliances at the property then a valid gas safety check must be completed before a tenancy starts and then again annually. Properties must also have an electrical safety check every five years. To see our full list of recommendations to get your property ready to list, please contact us.


Is it better to let my property furnished or unfurnished?


Generally unfurnished properties are more desirable for tenants however, some tenants may prefer to have a furnished property in certain circumstances, for example if they are looking for a short term let or are moving back from living abroad.


Do I need to have smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms?


Yes, each property needs to have a working smoke alarm on each floor and a working carbon moxoxide alarm for any solid fuel appliances in the house regardless of whether these are used or not.


How long a term should I offer my tenants initially?


We usually recommend an initial term of 6 months so both parties can check they are happy with the tenancy before renewing into a longer term if necessary.


What are my responsibilities as a landlord and what falls under my tenant’s obligations?


The landlord’s and tenant’s obligations are outlined in full in the tenancy agreement but generally the landlord is responsible for making repairs and for general maintenance of the property. Tenants are responsible for reporting any maintenance issues which need to be addressed, making any repairs which need to be completed as a result of any negligence on the tenant’s part and for paying their rent on time.


What is the ‘Right to Rent’ check and who is responsible for carrying this out?


Landlords have a legal responsibility to check that their tenants are allowed to rent property in the United Kingdom and take copies of the relevant documentation which proves this. Our staff are able to carry out this check on your behalf if you choose our fully managed service.


What do I do if my question isn’t covered here?


Please feel free to contact us and we’ll be more than happy to help.