Thinking Of A Running A Holiday Let? How To Get On The Right Side Of The Regulations

If you’ve decided to rent our your property as a holiday let then you will need to ensure that your property complies with all of the legislation surrounding it. As a first time landlord, it can be confusing trying to work out what you do or don’t need to do. To help make things clearer, we’ve created a list of things landlords need to consider and implement to ensure they are covered:

Photo Credit: Christa Grover


An electrical safety check is required before the property is initially let and then every five years thereafter. Regular portable appliance testing is also recommended, but is not a legal requirement, for any portable appliances such as kettles or hair dryers left in the property. Owners have a legal requirement to ensure that all electrics within the property are safe and well maintained.


An annual gas safety check is required to be completed for all gas appliances in the property. This needs to be conducted by a qualified gas engineer. The certificate will also need to be left in the property so that guests have access to it.

Fire Safety

Owners are required to undertake a fire risk assessment at their property and we usually ask to keep a copy of this on file. The risk assessment must also take into account vulnerable guests and their needs and ensure the property is as safe as possible for them as well as other less vulnerable guests. All equipment such as gas fires and electrics must have regular servicing to minimise the risk of a fire in the first place. An emergency evaluation plan must be created for guests and this be available for anyone checking into the property.

Smoke Alarm and Carbon Monoxide Alarms

It is a legal requirement to have a working smoke alarm on each floor of the property and to ensure that these are regularly checked to ensure they are working; ideally during each changeover. It is also a legal requirement to have a carbon monoxide alarm for any solid fuel appliances, i.e. a wood burner or open fire. We also recommend that you have a carbon monoxide alarm for any gas appliances but it is not (yet) a legal requirement.

Health and Safety

As the owner of the property, it is your responsibility to conduct a risk assessment to ensure that any potential risks are identified and that reasonable steps are put in place to minimise or alleviate this risk for your guests. Common examples of these are ensuring that there are no trip hazards and there are hand rails in place on stairs.

It is also your responsibility to consider how certain risks could be greater, dependant on different guests and to put the appropriate measures in place. For example, if you decide to allow children to stay at your property it is a good idea to put stair gates in place.

It is worth regularly updating your risk assessment, ideally annually, to ensure that any potential new risks are identified and minimised.


As well as having the usual buildings and contents insurance, owners are also required to have specific holiday let insurance which includes public liability insurance so that they are covered should any guests have an accident within the property.


Any furniture left in the property must comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (amended 1989 and 1993) and have a fire safety label to this effect. Antique furniture which was made before 1950 are exempt from these regulations.

If you have any further questions or queries, please feel free to get in touch with our friendly team on 01747 416 516 or email us on

6 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All